Identifying the right web content management system:
Blitz Media Design can offer several CMS options based on the client’s needs and skill level. These may be used in conjunction with other custom programmed options we provide with some projects. Options include:
The Blitz Media Design Content Management System
We offer a web-based CMS service that allows you to:
- Easily update your web pages;
- Upload files & graphics (the CMS includes an online graphics editor); create new pages from existing ones;
- No software to install – works from any web browser.
You can log into it here on our site, and we have video tutorials online to show you how to handle common web updates. If you’d like to try the system, please contact us for access to our live demonstration site.
Please note the CMS allows you to do basic editing that suffices for the vast majority of common update requirements. It is not intended for changing advanced web features (unless you know code, as it does allow code editing).
Open Source and Custom CMS Systems Installed on the Server
We can install or create CMS software that is integrated with your web site. These content management systems usually store and present content from an online database. We have worked with a number of open source, commercial, and custom systems, and can help determine which is best for your site needs. Some of the more popular open source systems require that your site be built in a particular way.
With any such system, you should be aware that:
- If you change hosts, the CMS may not simply transfer over — you may need to pay someone to reinstall and reconfigure it.
- Periodic security updates are likely to be required, and that may not be something you can install yourself (and if you do upgrade yourself, it’s best to know how to backup the database and other files first).
- They provide so much power that we’ve had clients inadvertently wipe out major portions of a site.
- These systems may or may not be particularly search-friendly, and/or limit future use of alternative web editors. The Blitz Media Design CMS mentioned first will work on virtually any web site and not preclude future changes.
Please note that regardless of the option selected, certain elements of a web site generally cannot be edited with any CMS. These include many Flash elements, form scripts, or other scripted elements used in your site.