without comments Estimated reading time: 3 minutes
Thomasnet can be a powerful lead generation tool IF used properly. In our experience, many clients fail to get their share of high-quality leads from Thomasnet. Do you find yourself asking:
- The cost is HOW MUCH?
- Is it paying for itself?
- Are we closing many sales from Thomasnet leads?
Have you renewed out of fear that canceling will mean no leads at all. Here are 3 tips on how to get more qualified leads AND sales from Thomasnet.
1. Don’t follow the leader when it comes to your listings
Most companies “fill in the blanks,” making their listings look like their competitors.
For example, most listings for contract manufacturing in Thomasnet follow this pattern:
- ISO and other certifications
- Machining capabilities
- Materials machined
You could change the name and link and use the same copy for most of the companies listed!
Answer the question “Why should I contact you?” Do something to motivate your potential customer to contact you rather than the other companies shown.
The better alternative
- Focus on benefits—help readers envision how their life is better after working with you
- Show them why they should believe in you (go beyond listing your ISO/AS certifications)
- Link to custom landing pages that reinforce the message of your Thomasnet listings
2. Offer unique value propositions
Every company should strive to offer unique value propositions. Falling back on “quality, delivery and price” won’t make you stand out from the competition. Your competitors are making the same claims, so focus on the how and why you’re better.
Highlight one or two or two strengths that aren’t shared by your competition. If you’re a contract manufacturer and have a 5-axis machine, focus on that competitive advantage rather than stating “we machine brass, stainless steel…”
Reinforce your unique value propositions in your Thomasnet listings by:
- Considering the questions your potential customers ask, their stated problems, and the answers you provide to convert them to customers
- Adding videos, white papers, or other presentations under the Additional Information section
- Using a Company Profile Ad that lists benefits not mentioned in the Thomasnet listings
3. Actions to take
The format of Thomasnet limits what you can do with Calls to Action (CTAs). A few “must do” items are:
- Be creative with Company Profile Ads, videos, white papers or other file
- Use a unique phone number or extension for your Thomasnet ads to track phone leads
- Using custom landing pages for different categories
Bonus Secret: How to design special landing pages from Thomasnet
Most listings use their home page, but there are options for extra links. You can maximize conversions by creating custom landing pages for those links. An effective landing page should have:
- A compelling headline
- Skimmable content focused on key points
- A short video can be effective and engaging
- Uncluttered—offer the necessary information without overwhelming the visitor
- Features high-quality content that inspires confidence
- Make it easy for the visitor to take the next step—give them one, clear choice
- An enticing offer that encourages immediate action
These aren’t theoretical suggestions—I dealt with these issues when I owned a manufacturing company. I started with Thomas when they used the green catalogs pictured at the start of this post, and successfully transitioned to online marketing.
Do you want a better return on investment from your listings? Please use the form on this post to contact us.