without comments Estimated reading time: 1 minute
If you think SEO is just about hidden code, keywords, and link campaigns, think again. We’ve said it before, but it bears repeating:
The “secret” to SEO is good, compelling text content. As a site owner, that’s what you should focus on, and let professionals like us help with the rest. So what are the most important SEO Factors?
Search engines continue to change, but in general, the three most important SEO factors include:
- Good content that is updated regularly
- Sites with well-written content following a consistent theme
- Inbound links from authoritative sites (although inbound links are being devalued after some of the trickery practiced by major retailers in Dec 2010)
Notice we’ve said nothing about keywords. Yes, they still have relevance, primarily:
- In visible text
- “Long-tail” keywords (multiple words that specific a particular product or service) are most likely to rank high and convert visitors to customers
- As long as they match the visible content, there are some “backend” coding spots where they should be included
But above all else, let your SEO focus on people, not search engines. You can do this by applying:
- Phrases that match how people search
- Think outside industry jargon
- Optimize pages for one keyword phrase that best matches the content
There are many other factors to consider, but we’ll deal with those in future posts. But as a site owner, focus on what only you can produce–search engines will never penalize good, compelling content!