without comments Estimated reading time: 2 minutes
Good, compelling text content is the most important component of your website. It’s more important than images, videos, or animations.
Whether we write your web content, or you do it yourself, you need to state benefits quickly and succinctly. Web visitors scan text rather than read, so you only have seconds to state your case. If you can’t explain why someone should buy your products or services in a few clear sentences, it’s unlikely your website will succeed. We can write effective text for you, but you must first explain to us what makes your business better than the rest.
Here are some writing tips to get you started (we offer a white paper on writing to all clients)…
1. Start with a meaningful headline that states what you offer and the benefit to the visitor.
Do not start off with anything like “Welcome to our website…” No one cares about this overused greeting. If you repair widgets, a better headline is “Same Day Repairs of all Acme Widgets!” Now I know you repair Acme Widgets, and I can get them fixed the same day.
2. Differentiate yourself from the competition.
If you sell a product, simply saying you offer high quality, low prices, and fast shipping will not suffice. Are your competitors saying “our quality is so-so, we’re overpriced, and you’ll get it when you get it?” Probably not.
The best approach is to qualify your advantages… sticking with the quality, price and deliver concepts above, try something like:
- Highest Quality backed by our One-Year Warranty
- Lowest Prices–we’d beat any competitor’s price by 10%.
- Fast Shipping–we ship within 24 hours of receiving your order.
3. Make your content easy to read.
Studies show that web copy is read at 1/4 the speed of a printed page, and most skim rather than read text. To make your copy easy to read, use:
- shorter sentences and paragraphs
- stick to one idea per paragraph
- get to the key point first–if you put it at the end of a page, few will ever see it
- use bullet lists and subheadings to make it easy for people to spot important points
If you’re having your web site designed, redesigned, or simply updated, concentrate on the text message rather than the graphics. Good, compelling text is the most important aspect of a successful web site.